03 July 2009

The Spirit-Formed Life

I am not what I ought to be,
I am not what I want to be,
I am not what I hope to be in another world;
But still I am not what I once used to be,
And by the grace of God I am what I am.
-
John Newton



To see the kingdom of God, Jesus said “...you must be born again (John 3:7).” When asked how this was possible, He responded that it was a work performed, not by man, but by the Spirit: “... the Spirit gives birth to spirit (3:6, NIV).”

Who is born again? Jesus answered, “Whoever believes in Him (3:16).” He is not saying: believe on Him and you will be born again. He is saying: if you believe on Him, you have been born again. Thus, the inevitable result of the new, Spirit-formed life is belief.

However, the belief that Jesus was speaking of here is no mere intellectual assent (i.e., a belief that) or profession which lacks conviction. He was specifically referring to a personal belief in His redeeming work on the Cross, followed by the victorious work accomplished by His literal, bodily resurrection from the dead.

A “personal belief” says not just that Jesus died for the sins of the world but that Jesus died for my sin. A personal belief humbly confesses guilt and ardently clings to mercy. A personal belief recognizes, in the blood of the Man on the Cross, the cleansing torrent of forgiveness and grace. Such who believe have truly been born again; such are truly “Spirit-formed.”

This belief, this inward conviction of truth, serves to remind us that we have indeed been born again by the Spirit of God. We were dead, but the Spirit gave us new life! We were unjust, unholy, and children of wrath; but through His grace, God gave us the righteousness of Christ and the accomplished atonement of His death and resurrection so that we might be called just, holy, and the children of God! All by His grace; all for His glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment